Public Safety Reporter, The Pilot
Southern Pines, N.C. | 2016 – Present
Covers crime, public safety and general news for The Pilot, which the National Newspaper Association has repeatedly ranked among the best community newspapers in the U.S.
Juggles breaking news coverage with long-form projects, including recent special reports on homelessness, Hurricane Florence and the deadliest mass shooting in modern North Carolina history. Writes impactful articles that resonate with readers, with his byline appearing on seven of the 10 most-viewed news stories published in 2019 on ThePilot.com.
Shoots and edits video packages for social media and ThePilot.com, garnering consecutive first-place awards for video production from the North Carolina Press Association. Makes front-page photographs for the print edition and manages @ThePilotNews on Instagram. Produces an award-winning email newsletter that reaches nearly 30,000 inboxes each Tuesday.
Features Editor, The Robesonian
Lumberton, N.C. | 2013 – 2016
Wrote personality profiles, event advances and a column about pop culture for the newspaper’s weekly Features section. Assigned and edited all other content appearing in the section. Also served as editor of smaller weekly sections dedicated to business and religion.
Covered general news and made photographs for the daily newspaper. Represented the paper during community events, speaking to public school students and accepting donations to The Robesonian’s annual Empty Stocking fund on behalf of the publication.
General Assignment Reporter, The Daily Courier
Forest City, N.C. | 2012
Covered small business, municipal government and higher education. Wrote a weekly column.
Contributing Writer, Various Publications
2010 – 2012
Wrote essays, criticism and newswire for national publications including American Songwriter Magazine, Slant Magazine, Alarm and Prefix. Wrote features and event advances as a stringer for The Fayetteville Observer in North Carolina.
Studied journalism and mass communications at Methodist University, a private college in Fayetteville, N.C.; a 2019 Media Law School fellow at the University of South Carolina
- Interim president of the North Carolina chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists
- Former member of the National Press Club
North Carolina Press Association 2018 Editorial and Photojournalism Contest:
- First Place award for Multimedia Project
- First Place award for Best Video
- Second Place award for General News Reporting
North Carolina Press Association 2017 Editorial and Photojournalism Contest:
- First Place award for Arts and Entertainment Reporting
- First and Second place awards for Best Video
- Second Place award for Community Service (shared with the editor and managing editor of The Pilot)
North Carolina Press Association 2014 Editorial and Photojournalism Contest:
- Third Place award for Arts and Entertainment Reporting
- Makes ethical decisions and demonstrates solid journalistic judgement under deadline pressure.
- Draws from wide-ranging experience to write authoritatively about an array of subjects.
- Uses digital storytelling tools to create compelling web content; translates digital elements to formats that are compelling in print.
- Negotiates to obtain records, data and documents for research-intensive projects.
- Proven ability to shoot front-page environmental portraits and spot news photographs; proven ability to film and edit award-winning video content.
- Proficient with Photoshop, InDesign, Final Cut and Excel.