Public Safety Reporter, The Pilot
Southern Pines, N.C. | 2016 – Present
Covers crime, courts and public safety for The Pilot, voted best community newspaper in the U.S. for the past three years by the National Newspaper Association. Juggles breaking news assignments with work on long-form enterprise projects. Produces video, photo galleries and other multimedia content for ThePilot.com. Edits social media posts and manages some social media accounts. Helped develop a semiweekly email newsletter. Recognized by the North Carolina Press Association with multiple awards in 2018 and 2019.
Features Editor, The Robesonian
Lumberton, N.C. | 2013 – 2016
Wrote profiles, event advances and a column about pop culture for the newspaper’s weekly Features section. Assigned and edited all other section content. Covered general news and took photographs for the daily edition of the newspaper. Represented the publication at community outreach events. Recognized in 2015 by the North Carolina Press Association.
General Assignment Reporter, The Daily Courier
Forest City, N.C. | 2012
Covered small business, municipal government and higher education in a rural mountain community. Wrote a weekly column.
Contributing Writer, Various Publications
2010 – 2012
Wrote essays, reviews and newswire items for national publications including American Songwriter Magazine, Slant Magazine, Alarm and Prefix. Wrote features and event advances as a stringer for The Fayetteville Observer in North Carolina.
Studied journalism and mass communications at Methodist University, a private college in Fayetteville, N.C.
- Member of the Society of Professional Journalists
- Former member of the National Press Club
North Carolina Press Association 2018 Editorial and Photojournalism Contest:
- First Place award for Multimedia Project
- First Place award for Best Video
- Second Place award for Beat News Reporting
North Carolina Press Association 2017 Editorial and Photojournalism Contest:
- First Place award for Arts and Entertainment Reporting
- First and Second place awards for Best Video
- Second Place award for Community Service (shared with the editor and managing editor of The Pilot)
North Carolina Press Association 2014 Editorial and Photojournalism Contest:
- Third Place award for Arts and Entertainment Reporting
- Makes ethical decisions and demonstrates solid journalistic judgement under deadline pressure.
- Draws from wide-ranging experience to write authoritatively about an array of subjects.
- Uses digital storytelling tools to create compelling web content; translates digital elements to formats that are compelling in print.
- Negotiates to obtain records, data and documents for research-intensive projects.
- Proven ability to shoot front-page environmental portraits and spot news photographs; proven ability to film and edit award-winning video content.
- Proficient with Photoshop, InDesign, Final Cut and Excel.